Fairy-tales for Pleasure

I just wanted to branch off from the discussion we ended class with yesterday where we were talking about Avery’s article,¬†Fairy-tales for Pleasure. When I read¬†Alice in Wonderland, I did not feel that the story was an attempt by Carroll to educate children on morals and life-lessons, rather I read the story from a psychoanalytic perspective. Alice’s experience in Wonderland took place in a dream and this made me perceive the story as Alice’s response to her schooling and education in real life. The characters she encounters, such as the Queen of Hearts or the Cheshire Cat, resembled authorial figures in her life, possibly a teacher or older classmate. I felt that Alice’s conversations with these characters were a way for her to unconsciously respond to how her teachers and classmates made her feel in reality. Therefore, I feel that Carroll only tells a story showing a child’s reactions to authority rather than trying to moralistically educate children.

3 thoughts on “Fairy-tales for Pleasure

1. I also looked at Alice in Wonderland through a psychoanalytic lens. I saw these match ups
    Cheshire Cat- her real cat Dinah
    Queen and King- Her mother and father [or any authority figures in her life]
    Duchess and the pig baby- Alice’s older and younger sisters in real life
    All the other characters that ignore her and question her could potentially be school kids or any other children involved in Alice’s real life.

I saw that each character could match up with someone in her real life.

2. I can kind of see how this makes sense, the more I think about it the more I see this story as a way to show how in school we learn the right way to do things, but maybe it’s not always the right way, and there are many different ways to interpret lessons taught in school. I also agree with Ren that its showing how its okay to be different because it doesn’t matter what others think or say about you, it’s what you think about you and how you perceive yourself.

3. I felt that Alice in Wonderland was more about being okay with being different or being “mad”. I know when I read Alice I felt better about myself and better about being a little bit odd. I think that the moral is there for those who look, there is moral beneath all this crazy. Maybe its about what you find when you dig into the crazy.