Salvation

What if the red sky in part three represents salvation and the resurrection of Christ?
On page 127 P says, “red sky at night, sailor’s delight, red sky in at morning, sailors take warning.” And on page 154 when the sky turns white.
I think the sky turning red represents the blood of Jesus as he hangs on the cross, but when he is resurrected that represents the morning. So the white represents the morning which is purity, innocence, salvation, but the red represents the violence and the grotesque sin from nailing Jesus to the cross. What P might be alluding to is if Jesus wasn’t our savior the sky would be red in the morning, but if it is white we are all saved and He is who He says He is.

1 thought on “Salvation

1. This is a cool way of looking at it; I hadn’t thought about it before.
    Actually, I’ve been reading the changing colors of the sky as demonstrative of the ambiguity of the meaning of anything, whether it be religion or the world around us. It seems as though the different characters who experience the sky changing colors all interpret this same strange occurrence differently (while some are deeply disturbed by it, others either choose to ignore it or do not notice it at all). Then again, my interpretation could be just as flawed as the ones I’m trying to pin on these characters….
    Another angle of this might be: do you think that your interpretation of the sky’s changes in color might demonstrate just P’s interpretation of the sky (and not those of other characters), or do you think that he is hinting at a more universal message put forth by the play?